Monday, June 3, 2013

Tofu: The Mystery Food of My Fridge

I bought a package of tofu last week.  As of today, it is still sitting in my fridge.  I have looked online for recipes and well, it's still a mystery to me. I don't get it.  All anyone ever tells me is "It takes on the flavor of what you are cooking..."  So, um, what the hell does that mean exactly?  I was going to try it because supposedly it is a good source of protein and quite frankly, I need something new in my diet.  I'm getting bored with my dinners.

I stalked asked a lady buying it at the grocery store who she said that she cuts it up into cubes, fries it in olive oil, then puts it back in the pan with some BBQ sauce and eats it like that.  Okay, great... but has anyone looked at the ingredients of BBQ sauce lately?  Sugar, carbs and a bunch of other crap I don't want entering into my body.  I think this would defeat the purpose of eating the tofu.

I don't own a wok and I don't have a lot of money to spend on some wacked out ingredients, herbs, spices, etc. So, on that note, if you can give me an easy, minimal ingredient recipe for tofu, I'd be most grateful.  I've got until June 24th before this clump of curdy-looking, water block goes bad.  Mmm, sounds yummy.  Can't wait to try it!

 nice...


6 comments:

  1. tofu and stir fried veggies over couscous is good.
    you just cook the couscous in some chicken broth, while you fry the tofu (drain first and cut into cubes) in some olive oil - add some sesame oil too if you feel like it -- until it is heated, slightly browned and cripsy.
    you can either put the veggies in with the tofu, or steam them. then just toss together and put over the couscous. very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds wonderful and easy! However, I just have one question. What the hell is couscous? ;)

      Delete
  2. couscous is an arabic/african wheat-like thing, which actually tastes great...tofu i wouldn't even feed to that cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Peter, but couscous doesn't sound much better. "A wheat-like thing". Ummm, no thanks.

      Delete

Please list your side effects: