Sunday, April 7, 2013

School, Work and Life are all Kicking my Arse

As I can see by the emails, phone calls, text messages and all the thoughts & prayers that everyone has sent my way (I counted zero), you all have deeply missed my presence here, so I thought that I would write a quick note to say that school, work and life are all kicking my arse (British English Anglo-Saxon word for the buttocks, usually replaced by the euphemistic "ass" in US/Canadian English).

I am taking the most atrocious American Literature class and although I LOVE to read, I reckon that I will  read Huckleberry Finn exactly NEVER again, even if it means I have to ride my own raft down the Mississippi to escape from doing so. 

Also, I am taking two Social Work classes and although I love them so much, my classmates are nothing short of annoying.  I know I need to gain tolerance, but it is very difficult to do this when they ask stupid questions such as "Will this be on the test?"   Why must we ask that question?  Can we all just assume that if the professor is talking about it that it is probably important enough to remember?  Come on, people.  What's going to happen when your client tells you they are homeless?  Are you going to ask them if they are looking for somewhere to live?  We need to start thinking and using that thing in our skull called a brain.

I also just started a new job (for the second time in the last two months - long story, no need to get into that here...) and have been doing trainings which I have loved and hated.  Orientations are more like DISorientations.  And sitting for 6-8 hours at a time makes my arse hurt.  However, the formalities are all done now and soon I can start to mentor youth.  (Lucky kids, huh...)

Life in general is busy and in four weeks I will be done with school for the semester leaving me with exactly FIVE classes until graduation.  Perhaps I can swing by and post some more totally interesting blogs when the middle of May is upon us.  ;)



gawd hates figs.





14 comments:

  1. It's a rotter when life gets in the way of blogging - but it can't be helped. Sit tight (if you can) and I'm sure your youth work will be rewarding - better than full grown class mates anyhow!!

    ps.........I love the accompanying picture! ♥ † ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Helena! My class mates are so grating and I can't mentor (smack upside the head) them! haha!

      ps........ i guess this was my little dig on the incredibly insane debate going on in the u.s. about ban(s) on gay marriage.

      Delete
  2. I remember these days. I have a BA in English Literature, but took a wide variety of courses. My American Literature class was great because we had this fantastic professor. It was like Walt Whitman himself appearing before us. I had some great discussions about Kerouac with him.
    Get to any Faulkner yet? I preferred him to Twain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken an American Lit class previously to this one, so I'm not even sure why in the world I even need it. I find it very irritating at this stage of the game. I've read Faulkner before, yes. I changed my major from high school English to social work and so glad I did. :|

      Delete
  3. also...heehee...you said "arse"

    love that word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That scares me that some of your classmates are asking if certain information is going to be on the test. I guess if it's not that means they don't need to know it at all because there's no way it would benefit the people they will one day be working with, right? *shutters in terror*

    Anywho, I love pic, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lisa... That's the mentality of these kids. I say that because most of them are just kids. I had a professor a few years ago that told us right from the start that if he talks about it, be prepared to see it on the test. I loved that. I would find that question so irritating as an instructor. Why else are they even there teaching?

      Sometimes I think these kids don't even know why they are going into social work - as if they picked the major to just pick something. I shutter in terror pretty much throughout every class. You would be wanting to punch faces 24/7. hehe!

      Delete
  5. figs...hehe...i hear that THAT gawd often prefers pigs in a blanket. i also think that's why you received no prayers and just needed that collective kick in the pants.

    i think you'll make one hella social worker though, punching faces. there needs to be more of that, and i'm a bit of an expert myself.

    p.s. you were missed, almost as much as the tribe swings and misses. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walkoff single by Swisher last night, bitch. :) You love him and his grin. Don't deny it.

      Delete
    2. i've been grimacing at that obnoxious grin ever since he was a yank-me, and i'm not going to stop now.

      Delete
  6. Even though I'm bad at communicating sometimes, believe me, I was checking for a new blog post frequently and thought maybe you'd given it up. Hell, I even have your site bookmarked. Glad you're enjoying your mentoring experience now. Now get your arse back to studying! (There's just not enough opportunity to use the word "arse" in my daily life. Thanks for providing one.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me give up? No way. I love my blog. I am the world's best blogger and very modest too. (f#uck that).

      And you're welcome. Feel free to use ARSE any time! Let's do lunch soon or you'll have to kiss MY arse! :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on being so close to finishing school! I hope to have a massive bursar-related debt paid off within about two years so that I can go to nursing school. I am not looking forward to being annoyed beyond belief, but having gone back to school in my 30s as well, there is a WORLD of difference between the generations in school. I consider myself very lucky that my fellow freshmen (all a good ten years younger than me at the time) were very accepting of me and there were quite a few who were mature and respectful of the professors.

    I am so excited for you! Sorry I didn't call, email or text, but I do not have your private info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be sorry! Next time, hunt me down, hire a private detective. You would have had you really cared!

      Delete

Please list your side effects: